What happens if you get an eviction notice (a notice to vacate)?
These are the major steps in the eviction process:
- You’ll receive a written notice to vacate from the property management.
- If your lease is in writing, it may allow this notice to be given just one day before you’re asked to move out.
- If you don’t have a written lease or your written lease does not state otherwise, you must be given at least three days notice.
- The property owner files an eviction lawsuit in justice of the peace court.
- A constable will serve you with lawsuit papers.
- A hearing is held in JP court (shortly after you receive a copy of the lawsuit).
- If the property owner wins, the constable will evict you, and may peacefully remove your property from your home.
- You have the right to appeal if the eviction is decided in favor of the property owner.